Tuesday, May 31, 2005

The New Job

Okay, here's the deal. My lunch break is over. I returned promptly (or almost- I was only five minutes late) and now I am sitting all by myself in this office. Everyone else has disappeared to some meeting that I've been hearing about vaguely since I walked in the door at eight. Am I supposed to be there? I don't know. Is it important? I don't know. Will they wonder where I am? I doubt it.

You see, I'm an intern. Intern is synonymous with the following words: dunce, idiot, imbecile, klutz, juvenile, etc. You get the idea. In reality it is defined as "A doddering idiot who tries to appear that they know what they're doing and, when finally given a task spend five times the needed amount of time on it."

I have been asking for some opportunities to work on my poise and people skills- both of which are almost non-existant. This is it. I'm in an office with four ladies I've never seen before in my life, in a radio station filled with about twenty more people- all of which have been seeing pictures of me since I was 2 and hearing of my accomplishments told in Grandma/Grandpa language (which makes me look eligible for Ms. America and Harvard Medical School.)

This morning I arrived at eight o'clock. Yes, I, Courtney E. Blake rolled out of bed in time to look poised and business-like by 7:45 so I could arrive by eight o'clock. I have this little sailor room in my grandparents' house with a cute little lantern light and a couch, bed, sea chest, and dressers. I suppose it's not so little- just seems that way compared to the rest of their upstairs bedrooms. I got all set up last night and situated. It's almost like a studio apartment, and I have my own bathroom. I've NEVER had my own bathroom. I'm in heaven.

So after a brief run last night, a shower in my personal shower :) and reading during commercial breaks in "Braveheart," I went to bed. It was approximately 9:30 p.m. I haven't gone to bed that early in almost a year. I was tired, but I couldn't sleep. I suppose I put on this adventurous front- and I really DO like new things. But I had no clue what I was going to be doing. None whatsoever. That's a little intimidating.

So, as I mentioned before, I got up at 6:30, breakfasted with the grandparents, got up some appearance of beauty and ventured off to work.

Now, let me make you salivate with one of the perks of this job. Not only am I living with my grandparents (where I'm just assumed to be wonderful until I shatter that image, and I'm also very well fed) but I am also driving my grandfather's sports car. It's a little white, Mazda Miata convertible. It's a stick shift. I don't drive a stick. I never have. I learned yesterday. Today, pulling out of my grandparents' neighborhood I killed it three times before I finally got the knack.

Here, in the office I have my own desk and computer. I feel very official- when I actually have something to do. See, here's the problem- my grandparents hire very good, hard working people. That doesn't leave much for a puny intern to do. So, today I did perhaps an hour to two hours worth of work in what (so far) has been almost 5 hours actually at work. And that work I did do could probably have been completed in half the time- except for the fact that it wasn't urgent and I was so thrilled to have something to do that I wanted to make it last as long as possible- it's rather like a lollipop you really like- you savor it as long as you possibly can- making it last lick by lick.

I drove home for lunch at 11:20 and figured out (before going in for lunch) how to put the top down on this little car. That is fun. Everyone can call me vain- but it's not vanity to know your good points and emphasize them, and my red hair looks stunning against the black interior of this little car, what's more- I know I can wear my big movie star sunglasses with great aplomb. That, and the knowledge that my outfit originally cost a hefty fortune (I bought it on sale...) gave me the courage to tackle whatever was thrown at me (or perhaps the lack of anything ever being thrown at me...) :)

**********************

I'm back. I found the meeting. Or rather, my grandfather found me and I found the meeting. I don't like the thought of him stopping whatever it was he was doing and looking for me. I think I'll be more assertive. I want these people to know and like me, so that when my husband runs for president, they will vote for him because of me. :)

Now I'm back, sitting at my little desk. I like it here. Though, if things continue this way it could get a little boring...

Well, nothing to do.

I think I will beguin my first blockbuster novel. If the whole summer continues this way- I should be able to finish and revise it before my twentieth birthday.

There may be quite a few more blog entries...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home