Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Dreams...

A wonderful friend of mine recently posted, on her blog, a list of things that she really, really wanted to do/have in her life. I thought it was very amusing, insightful, and (being the copy-cat I am) I decided to mimic her... even though I should be studying. :) But to be totally honest, I've had quite a few wants that have been rolling around in my head- things I desire to see happen, or to do before I die. These aren't in any order. That would take too long, and I don't like prioritizing even little things, and I can't imagine prioritizing all of these.

I want... to spend a year studying abroad in England- preferrably Oxford. I've always wanted to go there- ever since my seventh grade year. Can you imagine studying where all those great, famous writers existed and studied? Wow.

I want... to go hangliding, wind-surfing, and sky diving. I think I would also like to try bungy-jumping, and para-sailing. I've never done any extreme sport- and the adrenaline rush looks fascinatingly addictive.

I want... to become a proficient dancer- ballroom, tango, flaminco, etc. I'm so klutzy I can't imagine how many lessons that would take...

I want... to go swimming in jello- it looks like so much fun!

I want... to star in a movie that will open in movie theatres all across the country. I don't care if I have to wait till I'm as old as Angela Landsberry- I just want to so badly! Ever since I was able to understand what acting is I've wanted to do it professionally.

I want... to be proposed to by one guy. The right one. I used to want strings and strings of beaux (just like Ruby Gillis on Anne of Green Gables) and get at least three proposals before I was 23. I now am convinced that would be completely miserable. I just want the one.

I want... to be proposed to in a completely surprising spot, when I am not expecting it at all. And he had better wear ear plugs because I will scream from sheer ecstacy. (It would be nice if the place could be romantic too, but surprise is the biggest factor...)

I want... to marry a man who is very passionate and excited about life. Someone who is going in the same direction as I am- so we can go together.

I want... a house I can call my own. Doesn't matter what it's like. I'd like it to be brick and cottagy with big windows, a large lawn with lots of trees, and a gorgeous kitchen with granite counter-tops. I'd also like it to have a music room, and an attic master bed room. But I think I'd be happy as long as my name was on the deed and I could plant hyacinths and tulips out front.

I want... eight boys. Kid you not. EIGHT. I don't have names picked out, I figure that's kinda silly for me to be thinking about, seeing as I'm not even dating anyone....

I want... to write a New York Times Bestseller. (Preferrably fiction) That's pretty sel-explanatory.

I want... to own a dog. My dad doesn't like them. So I don't have one.

I want... to get flowers on my birthday.

I want... to have an extensive library of over 1,000 books of all kinds. I want to have read them all, and be a well-versed person in nearly every subject. In short- I'd like a library that would develop and reflect my intelligence.

I want... to go to an inaugural ball- and wear a very sparkly dress and enormous jewels that I'd rather rent than own- what would happen if I got tired of them after spending thousands (millions?) on them? The bigger, the better.

I want... to go on a shopping spree in New York.

I want... to have to clip coupons for a time in my life. I like the idea of being frugal and bargain shopping.

I want... to get married in my backyard.

I want... everyone to come talk to me and go away relieved. I want my siblings and parents to count me as one of their best friends and confidants.

I want... to travel on missions trips all over the world. (I want to feed the little starving babies in Africa, and laugh with babushkas in Russia, I want to cry with a childless mother in China, and hold the motherless baby in Romania. I just want to go!)

I want... when I die, to be known as a person of joy, a person who was always changing, always growing. I want those who shared my life to be happier because of it. I want people to know about Christ, to know what authentic friendship is, and to grasp the meaning of true love-because of my life.

I want... to live like my Savior- full of passion and love.

and then-

I want... to go home. And get my crown.

"No lion will be there,
nor will any ferocious beast get up on it;
they will not be found there.
But only the redeemed will walk there,
and the ransomed of the LORD will return.
They will enter Zion with singing;
everlasting joy will crown their heads.
Gladness and joy will overtake them,
and sorrow and sighing will flee away. " (Isa. 35:9-11)



"Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day–and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing. " (II Timothy 4:8)

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

molly says:
i think that everyone should do these. it gives an insight that not many people see.
and i also thought of like, ten more.
i want to rally in a protest for the environment, i want to become a broadway star (hah, hah, if i could do one thing with no catches.)

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow to attain to the resurrection from the dead.
I want to be publicly exposed to insult and persecution.
I want to save my life by losing it.
I want to have the Lord as my shepherd so I will not be in want.
And I don't give a rip whether or not I have a house with big windows or a starring role in some stupid movie. I doubt that the Apostle Paul cared much about that either.

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are rude. Plain and simple. You assume that because only these dreams are listed, these are the only ones that drive my life. You assume incorrectly. To list all my desires and dreams would take ten life times and more blog space than you could ever desire. As long as my chief end in life is to glorify and enjoy my Savior, I will be happy in Hollywood, or in an underground church in China. I admire your goals, I really do. Just a reminder, calling someone else's dream stupid- without seeing the purpose behind that dream- may not be the best way to become like Christ.

May all your dreams come true,
Your sister in Christ,
Courtney

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

anon, how about you cast the second stone, and then the third, since you apparenlty are the only one without sin in the world.
go ahead. and while you are at it, stone me as well.
--molly (lesserbeing.diary-x.com)

10:25 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I pray that all your dreams come true, Courtney. You truly deserve it. (And my 8 boys will need playmates! :)) I believe God means what He says when He promises to give us the desires of our hearts--which we ultimately get from Him when we are living in His will. How exciting! Love ya, girl!

10:38 PM  
Blogger David said...

I think God wants us to have a little but of heaven on earth. But that's just me thinking. Can't find that one in the Bible.

(Goodness, I don't care much about what my house looks like either. I'll probably be too poor to own one for some time. Some times I don't give a rip about what people give a rip about. But then again, sometimes I do.)

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow Kort-Knee this post about Afterism is great! I was doing a google blog search looking for granite tile, never the less I learned a little something here. I'll be back soon to check you out again. bye now

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't seem to find any blogs on , the search engines just keep bringing up Afterism. I guess I should just try using some other search terms like , but I might browse around here a bit first, it kinda looks interesting Kort-Knee.

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home