Monday, February 14, 2005

Future Valentine

It's drizzly and cold outside and there are couples walking all over the place. In Stewart Center there's an organization selling roses, and all the commercials on TV have something to do with chocolates and diamonds. It's Valentine's Day.

It's strange, but in the past I've always been rather depressed on Valentine's Day. Every girl wonders if there is something wrong with her when no guys pursue, or when Valentine's Day after Valentine's Day rolls by with no change, or no Prince Charming on the horizon. But this year, 2005 I am very happy. There is no Prince Charming (and no prospect of one) but I am bubbling over with the joy of the life that God has given me.

Perhaps someday in the future I will meet the man who will sweep me off my feet, perhaps I already know him, but regardless- I know one very important thing. I can't do anything about the future, and I can't change my past, but I have the present- and however cliche that may sound, I know it's true. So I am striving to use my present, not as big quest in search of "the one," but rather as a preparation for him to come. God, for some reason has given me this time alone, and it is my choice what I do with it. I can worry and plan and scheme, or I could look at my life objectively and say, "I've got a whole lot of work to do.... that guy better not come for a while..."

When Prince Charming enters my life, I want to be ready, to be the princess that he has been dreaming of, to be pure and holy, ready to help him in all areas of his life. ("It is not good for man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him."- Gen. 2:18) I have this time to make sure that I am ready and able to help and love whoever Christ brings into my life. So when that man comes he may be able to find the kind of woman described in 1 Peter 3- Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful. They were submissive to their own husbands, like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her master. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear.

I don't like the phrase "waiting for love" or "waiting for the right person." It implies stagnation, as though nothing in my life can happen until the guy shows up. Rather, I am working towards love, I am growing and changing and moving towards a more Christ-like self, and perhaps, on my way there, God will allow me to meet another person whose goals are the same as mine and who is headed in the same direction.

But until then, I'll keep moving closer to my God, knowing that he will provide what is best for me, as he always has. For now my theme shall be: "Do not arouse of awaken love until it so desires." (Song or Songs 8:4)

I love him, although I don't know him, and because I don't know him, I'll get ready for him.

I love you.

From,
Your future valentine

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could make any number of serious comments about what a good post it was (and it was, by the way... good stuff to think about), but instead I have a simple question...

What's with the Christmas colors?

9:34 AM  
Blogger COURTNEY said...

I think you're color blind, it's not Christmas colors... it's cantalope and green- my two favorite colors.

(Although it does look red...)

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good quotes. rather than read some smut novel i'd rather read son of songs anyday. in the Lurve Project for Joe, I practically wrote out the whole book... (O.o)

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And what's the first phrase in 1 Corinthians 13:4-7? Love is patient.

you already know that, so don't worry about love or anything.... love will come when it needs to, I'm glad you're growing towards Christ in the meantime :).

6:52 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Wow. This was great! :)

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing. I was really encouraged by your post and it helpe me ain many ways to change some of my views when it comes to my singlehood, men or God. I was always telling myself that a man was never promised to me the only thing promised was God?Jesus/Grace/Forgiveness. So instead of pining away or bitterly waiting for Mr. Right, I can live me life and run the race marked out for me and prayerfully if it's God's will my hubby will find me. Thanks again.

PS I am not too fond of BBQ Sauce either.

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home