Friday, June 24, 2005

21st Century Here I Come!!!

You'll never believe who just called me at work. No, it was not the President, or Rush Limbaugh asking me to be his public radio announcer. It was so much better. :) It was my dad!!! During the course of our conversation he informed me that he was purchasing cell phones and a plan with Cingular. I was shocked as speechless as I could be (being me). My father has declared that cell phones are a waste of time and money. (Predominantly money) and that they are not as useful as everyone claims- he says, "Use pay phones." I showed him articles about the removal of all pay phones (seeing as they were no longer being used-everyone else has a cell phone.) and he nonchalantly waved his hand and said, "That's ridiculous! You'll always find a phone somewhere- hey, you can borrow one from someone around you." He refused when his oldest daughter went off by herself, alone to a secular campus, and my grandmother (his mother) was so worried that she paid for an emergency cell phone for the poor girl). But today, my dear, economical father told me that he was getting some phones, and I, of course, harassed him properly for backing down on his convictions. But I stopped as soon as he said I would get one phone with unlimited minutes. No complaining from the daughter department. :)

Life is rolling along very peacefully and wonderfully. I love my life!!! (Do you want any new news?)

I am currently at work with the coolest co-workers I have ever had, listening to Shania Twain. I've never listened to so much different music. My bosses laughed at me the other day, and occasionally they exclaim, "Courtney, you're too cultured!" (They do so after I claim I can't karaoke because all the songs I know are ancient Broadway love songs, or when I quote someone other than a movie star, and know the answer to why flamingos are pink.)So, my goal is to become un-cultured and join my generation. Hence, I am listening to Shania Twain, reading InStyle magazines, shopping on-line, listening to the Star news, and the Backstreet Boys are in my car CD player. Upon hearing it- another one of my co-workers (music major, half Italian, listens to classical music and arranges/writes her own music) told me that my brain was shrinking.

My only reply was, "Good."

Let's see....

I'm also a fluid stick shift driver, and although I don't think I would ever choose a stick voluntarily, I would still be comfortable driving one. With any luck I will be home for a three day weekend over the 4th of July weekend. Sounds like fun- fireworks, church, a convertible, no work, and tons upon tons of time with friends and family.

(I like this Shania Twain CD)

I am currently the Mitchell News announcer. I do the news live- it is a BLAST! Today marks the first time I did it completely on my own. I've never had so much fun! I sit in this little studio with a switchboard and michrophone. For those of you who have made fun of my heavy smoker voice- it's very, very good for radio news. :) I even got an outside compliment on it. (Someone called and said they liked me doing the news.) Made me very happy. (I'm wearing a very big grin.)

Earlier this week I went walking with my grandfather on the runway of the Bedford airport. Yup, a runway- the kind that planes take-off and land on. It was awesome. As we walked my grandfather gave me my "ground training." I learned all about the lights, how they mark the runways, compass callibrations, incoming slope geometry. So, my new passion is flying. When riding I always get a little sick, but Dramamine should help... :) Any way, I'm taking a flight elective in the Spring Semester. I'm going to get my pilot's liscence. Doesn't that sound incredible!?!?!?! I'm so excited! I have pilot friends and a plane in the family. I'm good to go.

I think I'm going to change my hair color, but I don't think that's all that new and exciting, you all know me too well... And it's not just for fun- my roots are showing :)

Tonight I'm going to a benefit dinner- I'm in the household of very important members of society- I get to practice all my political savvy. ;) This is sooooo much fun!!! Dressing up, doing introductions, engaging in correct conversation, and paying all the righ compliments. Someone told me that I shouldn't aim at First Lady, but rather President. :) We'll see....

Last night I painted bathrooms and stalls at the Bedford Free Methodist church (my current congregation). Very fun.

There's this guy at my grandparents' church named Geoffery Bush (We call him "Jeff") and he's been dubbed, "A very nice boy" by my grandmother. Meaning that he was dateable and that I should be interested in him. He's a runner- a very, very good runner. Holds several records (he was in the paper). There's another guy named Aaron Ritter who (it seems to me) is almost the perfect man, I say "almost" not because I've heard something bad about him, but rather because my theology teaches me that no person can be perfect.... but these older people at this church seem to think he's an angel come to earth. He plays the violin, and does no wrong- so of course he's another candidate for the "Get the Grandaughter Dating" campaign. Unfortunately both are rather skinny, and there's a possibility that I weigh more than both of them combined.... :) So, for right now the grandaughter is alone and blissfully single. (Although Jeff is rather cute- a la Kyle McComas cute... if he asked me out on a date, I'd not say "no." The Ritter kid however has NO chance. "Perfection" can be irritating and boring.) :)

Well, that is my life. Fascinating, no?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

... i hate to tell you. but backstreet boys are gross. LOL HAHA

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh that was your punk rocker friend molly. so you can say, oh what does she know?

3:14 PM  
Blogger David said...

That's wicked sweet that you can do the news. So why are flamingos pink? I just assumed it was because they had pink pigment in their feathers and it was a genetic thing.

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well... they SAY that pink flamingos are pink because of the shrimp that is their primary diet. The coloring of the shrimp are expressed in the feathers then. Like if you ate too many/ate only carrots you would have yellow/orangish skin and stuff. "you are what you eat."
--molly

4:25 PM  
Blogger COURTNEY said...

The flamingos are pink because of the shrimp... I ate so many carrots and squash when I was a kid that my skin turned orange, so Molly is right, as always. Except- the Backstreet Boys are cool- not as people, but I really, really like their love songs.

6:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home