Wednesday, June 08, 2005

My Life (that I love): As An Intern

There is a lull in the activity here at the station. I've been running around all day writing, filling bills, revising advertisements, attending meetings. This afternoon, instead of the standard lunch break, we had a "Brown Bagger" in which an outside company caters lunch to all the employees. We eat, talk, and have a business meeting. It lasts almost 2 hours and is quite fun. (For me. I suppose that everyone else has heard all of this before, but I keep learning all these great things. It's incredible!)

But now, I've done everything that is pressing for today (it is currently 2:30. That means that I've been useful for an unprecedented 6 and 1/2 hours.) and I'm taking a short break. I still have things to do, but none of them have deadlines for today. Radio is very fast paced. For every 30 second ad that you hear, there are hours of work put in. The sales person sells (which can take a while- people are so demanding) then the "copy" (advertisement) has to be written and produced. The billing has to go in, paperwork has to be filled out, and then the programmers have to schedule it in all the times that the person wanted, and make sure that they get what they pay for. It's all very complicated for a newby like me.

I am back to making minimum wage, which is a little bit of a change after working for the government and getting $9.00 an hour. :) But I love this work environment, I love living with my grandparents, and I love driving this little sports car. In short, there are just a lot of things that I love. :)

I think I'm going to take this blogging time to tell you a little about my co-workers. I miss all of my friends from home (may I call you friends? :) ) and I want them to know about the new people in my life.

First of all, there are my grandparents. And yes, my family does believe in nepotism- that's how I got this job. I didn't even fill out an application until halfway through my first week. :)

My grandfather, L. Dean Spencer, is an electrical engineer who graduated from Purdue University exactly 50 years ago. He served in the military, and has been in radio since he was a boy. He inherited his radio stations from his father, Lester Spencer- one of the first great voices in radio. (I kid you not- pick up a history of radio and he will be in there- he had this great bassy voice and owned several stations.) My grandfather is a quieter man, but extremely intelligent. He is involved in his community, his family, and his business. And although he is in his 70's he still does all the weed spraying, electrical maintenance for his towers and stations.

My grandmother, Barbara Anne Spencer, also attended Purdue. Her declared major was Home Ec, but she, along with quite a few others, attended Purdue with the purpose of catching an engineer for a husband. She said that she figured an engineer would be able to provide for his family. Let it suffice to say that quite a few engineers wanted to catch her. :) She was a sorority girl, and beauty pagent queen, with an out-going, attention grabbing personality. She was, and still is, a snazzy, classy dresser. In fact, she even caught the eye of Neil Armstrong, later the first man on the moon. Neil took her to a dance, and while driving her home from a music rehearsal (they were both musicians) he pulled over to the side of the road for a make-out session. My grandmother would have none of that, and it must be said she caught the best engineer on campus when she married my grandpa. She is an incredible pianist, a news woman for the radio, and an avid learner of everything she can get her hands on. She takes notes while she reads- even if it's for fun. She also watches Fox News every night and during the day whenever she is home. From the way that she speaks about CNN (it's not allowed to be played in the station or at their house) I do believe she would rather I watch the sitcom "Will and Grace" or "Sex in the City." :)

I work mainly in the sales office at the station.

Becky is the head of the sales department. She is a riot. Baseball is her game, she tracks the weather on her computer, and drives a Jeep without the top on. She, her husband, and little girl live out in the country quite aways, and I can't see her anywhere else. She has headed the sales staff for quite a while and seems extremely successful at it. Her interaction with her sales women is incredible. They all love her because of her carefree, happy go lucky attitude. She's the kind of woman who would go to a game you were playing in, and cheer the loudest- maybe even join in if you were short-handed.

You'll notice that I mentioned her "Sales women"that is because the entire sales staff is comprised of women. I have a theory about that which I will air later.

Maleaha is now the longest running sales woman. She was married at eighteen, and is now almost 31. She is pregnant with her first child and throws a mean curve ball. She can wing it around her office door and nail you without even trying. I can't hit her, point blank, from three feet away. She laughs. I love her laugh. It's one of those un-affected giggles. She still seems about 18. She has this adorable cute litte voice which I'm sure that her clients love to hear over the phone.

MaryAnn is Italian. She embodies that whole stereo type. She has the gorgeous dark skin and eyes with an enormous amount of gorgeous dark curly hair. She laughs with this enormously gorgeous smile. And she instantly makes you her friend. She talks about her life and her new boyfriend with me in a very unreserved manner. At 24 she's closer to my age than any other sales person. She's like a friend- and we're going to spend some time away from work together. She's my only younger influence so far this whole summer. Let it suffice to say that I like her. :)

Holly is my boss. She acts as a sales woman, but she's also General Manager for the entire station. I do almost all of her advertisement writing and grunt work paperwork. I am, in essence, her secretary. She is this little tiny thing who weighs in at barely over one hundred pounds. She has the gorgeous dark tan and manicured nails. She dresses in a snazzy cute outfits- which she probably got while she was general manager for Old Navy or Victoria's Secret. She is a very good people manager. Some people just have that skill.

Well.... those are the ladies I am around. Of course there are other people that work at the station, but I haven't spent much time around them, and so I don't want to draw lopsided, or narrow character sketches of them.

Let is suffice to say that I love my job. I love my co-workers. I love little ol' Bedford Indiana. And I love summer vacation. Once again, there are lots of things that I love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home