Wednesday, June 29, 2005

On My Own

I just read a newly graduated high school senior's blog. I believe the phrase that caught my eye was: "I can't wait to be on my own. It'll be so great!"

Yeah, it is great. It's great to stay out late and sleep in as long as you want with no disturbance. It's great to set your own schedule, make your own agenda, and just take care of yourself rather than try to fit your schedule in with that of your family. It's fun to have your own to-do list. It's great to ignore that to-do list. Life on your own is great.

But no one tells you...

You'll be on your own when you're broken and crushed, and for the first time your realize you're just one person in a very big world.

You'll be on your own in the classroom because no one knows who your parents are and they don't give a hang- professors and students alike.

You'll be on your own that first time you have to make that decision to stand up for what you've been taught, or back down and be "cool."

You'll be on your own when you're having problems with school, money, the registrar's office, and your over-due library books.

You'll be on your own when making important decisions, and you'll be torn between what you should do, what you want to do, and what your parents want you to do.

You'll be on your own when you reach that first Sunday you're "too tired" to get up out of bed for church.

You'll be on your own.

The decisions you make are yours and yours alone. And while the thrill of making them, of having that power is wonderful, you are going to have to live with those choices.

Being on your own is incredible. Words cannot exlpain the thrill of "owning" your own life. But words can also not describe the shere terror of that same "aloneness." While growing up I was always told, "With greater privileges, you have greater responsiblity." (Wise mother.) But I never realized the truth of that until I was given overwhelming privilege accompanied by the same amount of responsibility.

I love my "freedom." I've grown so attached to it, that it is often difficult to relinquish. But to every unsuspecting person out there who is yearning for the "freedom" of college- be aware that there is another side. It doesn't detract from the thrill, but it does add a different flavor.

Yes, you be "out of here."

You'll be on your own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home