Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Afraid?

We've been reading an interesting book in English class. At least, everyone else has be reading it.

I haven't.

I'm not procrastinating.

I'm not lazy.

I'm just not.

My reason is this: the book is written by a homosexual man about homosexuality. It is filled with graphic descriptions of that lifestyle. Descriptions I don't think are necessary for me to read. But as I was sitting in class today watching everyone discuss this book I noticed something.

No one was criticizing the book. We've done that in the past. There's always someone who says, "Ugh! I hated this book!!!" But no one was doing that. Everyone seemed incredibly eager to impress upon everyone else that they didn't think the homosexual lifestyle was bad.

No one I talked to liked the book. But they wouldn't say that. They only said, "Well, it was a little weird." or "Well, I didn't like it," (and then quickly) "but not because of the homosexuality...." (but then they couldn't give me their reason for disliking the book.)

The word "homophobic" was thrown around a lot. If you didn't agree with the book, or didn't like it, you were going to be branded as such- a homophobe.

So here's my question: Is not approving of something being afraid of it?

I don't think so. In my mind it requires a whole lot more bravery to go against the standard and speak what you really think. Every person in that room was sidestepping the issue. Everyone was anxious to impress on everyone else the fact that he or she was not a religious prude. That was the safe route. You didn't get into sticky moral issues of what's right and what's wrong. You didn't have to confront anyone, you didn't have to address any problems. Isn't that more homophobic than saying: "I don't hate you. But I do know that, morally speaking, your lifestyle is wrong. I'm not denying your struggles, I'm not angry or mad. I'm just trying to understand. And while I want you to know that I will never judge you, I also want you to know that I am not going to condone your lifestyle." I think "homophobia" is defined incorrectly.

When you fear something you avoid it. You hide from it. You try to shove it under the covers. And you never want others to see that fear.

People are afraid of saying what is right and wrong. Because when you drag out that issue you have to establish the fact that there IS a moral law and that such a moral law must have a moral law Giver. By acknowledging there is such a being, one immediately becomes aware of one's own lack of adherance to such a code and suddenly eternity, God, and sin become real and present dangers you must confront. It's easier to just ignore it all. To just claim tolerance.

Addressing the issue is being homophobic?

I don't think so....

2 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Brilliantly and eloquently stated. A great critique of a nuanced topic. Chesterton would be proud.

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should seriously consider somehow giving this to your teacher.

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home