Thursday, July 13, 2006

Girly-Girl Apology

I am a girly-girl. The following story proves it once again:

Tuesday my car broke down, so Wednesday morning I had to catch a ride to work with Nate Hornbrook and my brother. No biggie except that their work starts an hour before mine. So I packed up all my beautifying items and decided to get ready in a Purdue Memorial Union bathroom. (The place is almost deserted in the summer.) I did so, and then headed to work.

Worked diligently all morning, pausing only when a blonde, skinny girl wheeled an old cart into the office.

"I heard there were some package here for me to pick up." She was wearing boys' athletic shorts and an old t-shirt- both of which were liberally splattered with paint. I was wearing a long flowy skirt with a ruffled hem and a lace blouse.

"Oh yes!" I said. "There's one over here, and then there's one under the desk. It was so heavy I couldn't move it."

At this point I became aware of the fact that my hair was down and curled, and her hair was pulled back into an economical pony tail. I was wearing make-up. She was not. And she was looking at my as though I was a strange creature.

She went over to the first box and hoisted it with ease. Then she went over to the "heavy" box. She had to strain a little, but she lifted it and set it fairly easily on her cart. This feat caused her to look at me in derisive amusement before exiting the office.

I felt like a girl.

However, my interaction with this certain damsel was not over. I came back from my lunch break early. I was bored. I changed out of my exercise clothes and into my frills once again, and then (because it was so humid and my hair was resembling a haystack) I whipped out my curling iron (which I had brought for that morning) and began to control my wild locks. Just as I started, "package girl" entered the bathroom. She gave me a look of incredulous scorn.

As she was washing her hands I ventured to strike up a conversation (you know, be friendly!) "This humidity is awful!"
"Hmmm, yeah." she answered. She couldn't really understand. Her hair was completely smooth and straight despite the 90% humidity. "Do you have an interview or something?"
"Oh, no." I replied. "I just have to work the rest of the afternoon and I feel so much better when my hair looks nice." After that comment there was no chance of ever renewing a conversation. She snorted, looked at me in scorn, and walked out the the bathroom.

Later that afternoon she came into the bathroom at the same time I did. But I darted out of my stall before her, washed my hands in a mad rush, and whirled out the bathroom before she exited her stall. There was NO WAY I was going to endure any more derogatory stares in my general, frilly direction.

I am such a girl. And I look like it.

I apologize...

(but not really... I kinda like it!)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ROTFLMAO.

Maybe you interpreted her scorn as like a form of disbelief? Granted, she might not hate the humidity 'cause her hair is straight, but I love the humidity and my hair is... not straight... and I'm kind of like the package girl. Except I prefer never to have looked at you in scorn...
-Mols

5:45 PM  
Blogger La Profesora said...

don't apologize, honey. girly girls are in danger of extinction!

5:35 PM  
Blogger Nata said...

sometimes one should stick up for one's self and so as one is not looked down upon by one's scorner.

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home