Tuesday, November 14, 2006

What do you believe?

I had a surprising conversation today. It was surprising because in its very bluntness it entered conversation realms that most people don't ever enter. I've only known this person for a relatively short amount of time. I've only been talking with him maybe 3 weeks. (He told me last week that he was so excited to find out that I had a personality. Yes, he's quite a charmer.) ;)

But today, right in the middle of our conversation he stops, pauses, and says, "So... What do YOU believe?"

I'll admit I fumbled. Not from a "what on earth do I say?" point, but rather from a "what on earth do I NOT say?" Massive amounts of information came rushing to my head. Salvation, the existence of truth, Christianity, my belief system, my source of truth, heaven/hell, etc. It was as though the little door I had been looking for had suddenly opened, but my huge tidal wave of knowledge couldn't get through. Instead, just a little splashed in. But I hope it was a big enough splash to make him start thinking.

I'm not going to talk about my answer. If you really want to know I said something along the lines of, "I believe that there is a moral right and wrong. I believe that there is a God who, when we die, will not look at the actions of our life, but rather at our belief in Him to determine our entrance into heaven." ect.

What I DO want to talk about is my fumble. Yes, I'm going to talk about how I messed up. I don't do this very often (it's one of the things I'm trying to work on) but today I felt especially inadequate, and whenever I feel inadequate I want to confess that. You are the lucky crowd I'm confessing to. (Although there's probably no one still reading my blog... I haven't posted in forever...)

The fumble led me to believe that yes, it is a good thing that I have all the facts that I do, but often, when the situation presents itself, I don't have enough time to present that vast amount of information. I have come to grips with the fact that I need to coherently organize my thoughts and my views, and, I need to be able to come up with a concise answer to the question, "What do you believe?"

That's my assignment this week.

I'll let you know how it goes...

1 Comments:

Blogger David said...

First of all, someone still does read this blog (due in no small part to that Atom feed attached to this site of which you are probably completley unaware).

Secondly, keep up the good work.

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home